- I turned 30 yesterday. Didn’t bother me at all. And why should it? I have a great life. I’m married to the best possible woman, I own my own home, I have a good job, a government job, I have a dog who is always glad to see me, I have an awesome family all the way around, great friends, and a baby on the way. What’s not to love? The only one of those things that’s changed since I was turning 29 is the baby, and yet before my 29th birthday I felt a little restless about my life, or at least portions of it (click here for details). But now, even with the enormous responsibility of fatherhood looming, even while working two jobs, even with few spare moments to take a deep breath and really enjoy the scenery, I feel truly blessed to be where I am. Yes, there are days of itchy feet and wanting to cast off the shackles of the work-a-day world, but nothing that gets me too down. God is good.
- Jen and I will be hosting a house guest for the next month or so. Her name is Lucy. She’s a very sweet girl and mostly pleasant to be around. She does eat more than we’re used to and has a tendency to be a little whiny, but overall she is fairly well behaved. We don’t really have an extra bed for her, so she usually ends up sleeping either on the couch or the floor with the blanket she brought with her. Occasionally we’ll catch her just staring at one of us with her deep brown eyes, looking for some sort of approval or acknowledgment. It can be a little creepy, but we usually just pat her on the head and say, “Good girl.” Lucy is my buddy’s dog. He can’t have her where he’s living right now, so she’s moved in with us and our own spazzy dog in our tiny, two-bedroom house for the next few weeks. Should be interesting.
- For some reason I enjoy movies and music that have to do with death. By that I don’t mean death metal and horror movies, but I enjoy things have are about having to deal with death. Maybe enjoy is the wrong word. I find them interesting, maybe that’s a better way to say it. I’m still exploring this facet of my artistic tastes, so I don’t have much more to say about it than that right now. Does that make me some kind of weirdo? Maybe that’s why I enjoy so much of Johnny Cash’s later music.
- One of my birthday presents was supposed to be finding out if our baby is a boy or a girl. You’ll recall we tried this before to no avail. Well, that little rascal was at it again. It not only kept at least one leg in the way of getting a clear view of the region in question, but added one hand to the mix. The technician thought it might be a girl, but was far from 100% convinced. I guess we’ll just have to do like in olden days and wait for the arrival to know. That kid is so grounded.
- I watched a little bit of Cavemen tonight. Its the new sitcom based on those Geico commercials. Surprisingly funny. If this one episode is typical, it may actually last the whole season. But probably not.
- I have more I’d like to say, but I’m too tired to think of it right now. Have a happy November 7th.